Sunday, October 28, 2012

Reflections at 30 (24/10/2012)

The road to 30 has been quite a journey. A long road full of mistakes and lessons that I never knew the meaning for each. Looking back, there's nothing I regret. I've learned from it all. I see things a bit clearer today. The road ahead doesn't look that bad at all. It actually looks amazingly awesome. For the first time in my life I actually know where I'm going and what it is I want to accomplish.

The last few days of my 20's were spent in NYC; and now, in CT where I'm celebrating my dirty 30 with my uncle at Yale. A new place to bring in the new year of my life. Birthdays really are the beginning of a new year, a fresh start. Not January 1st...unless that is your birthday. 

So far I've reconnected with old friends, began friendships with old acquaintances, and have been meeting and keeping correspondences with new people. I'm looking at life in a whole new light. The picture is much brighter these days. I'm loving every minute.


My 20's weren't as bad as I thought. There are things I know to never do again and things I've definitely learned from and enjoyed doing. Here are some things I've come to realize:

-Never qet married... at least until knowing the person for 5 years or more, maybe.
-Never jump into situations without really taking into consideration all aspects of the consequences.
-Experience life; don't hold back.
-Make friends; keep the good ones close at hand and always in your heart.
-Meet new people wherever you go.
-Stop being so shy; it won't get you anywhere.
-Laugh each day. It's food for the soul.
-Live somewhere different, especially if you've lived in one place your entire life.
-Your parents aren't always right but they usually have some pretty damn good advice.
-Don't hold grudges; they only hurt you in the long run.
-Smile each day; things aren't as bad as they seem.
-Really pay attention to those who are around you. Don't get distracted by the electronic items at hand. You never know if you'll see that person tomorrow.
-Travel if and when you can. There's a whole other word outside of where you live.
-Life really is short.
-Don't worry about what people think of you. That's their business not yours.
-Try, almost, all new things at least once.
-Be adventurous.
-Learn to love someone; be in love.
-Take on challenges with a "can do" attitude.
-Set goals and learn to achieve them.

I'm sure there's more to add to the list. But that is what comes to mind. Even though I'm going through my 2nd divorce at the moment, I can honestly say I'm genuinely happy with where I am in my life right now. That is definitely a first for me. I'm excited about what's to come. I have a goal set for the next year and I know I'm going to accomplish it.

It's amazing how wonderful life is. We get so wrapped up in everyday things that we forget to really stop and take in all that's around us. That's how life easily passes us by.

I made a vow today, my 30th birthday, that I'm really going to appreciate each day for what it's worth. I'm going to continue to make myself happy, because only I can make myself truly happy. I'm going to look at each day as a new opportunity. There's a reason we're still on this earth. We might as well take advantage of each day we have ahead of us. The journey is most definitely the reward.

No comments: